Tuesday, January 1, 2013

New Years Eve at Danny Browns--Forest Hills



www.dannybrownwbk.com
104-02 Metropolitan Avenue New York, NY 11375
718-261-2144
$$$




Danny Browns is my favorite restaurant in Forest Hills.  I’ve been a resident for over ten years and I am a huge fan of the neighborhood restaurants especially stellar ones.  Since New Year’s Eve was quickly approaching I wanted to stay out of Manhattan but still have a great meal and so, it was Danny Browns.  I made a 9PM reservation and later would realize I wish it was earlier because I was starving.  I called to see if anyone had canceled on any earlier reservations and was told unfortunately no one did.  



When I entered Danny Browns it was packed with people celebrating the New Year.  There was a large party of eight people seated in the front and I noticed one empty table for two in the front and one empty table for two in the back.  The front table was offered to us and I asked if we could be seated in the back and they quickly obliged.  The wait staff and hostess were ever so friendly and accommodating.  The mood was happy and celebratory, loud and busy.  I had a great view of the kitchen and the expediter.  I was surprised with how busy and calm everyone was.   

I ordered a glass of Sancerre, Régis Jouan, Loire Valley, 2010 for $12.50.  It was crisp, dry and with a slight hint of apple.  I usually order Pino Grigio but decided to try something new.  It was good and complimented the cheese and meat platter we ordered. 













For the Small Board this is what we ordered:

Fig Compote, Whole Grain Mustard, Cornichons, Aged Balsamic Vinegar
With the choice of Three Cured Meats & Three Cheeses
Serves 1-2 People
$34.00

This was the offering of special Cheese for the day:

Tomme de Savoie
Pasteurized Cow’s Milk
Red Currant Preserve & Arugula
Savoie, France
12.

Taleggio 8.
cow’s milk, semi-soft,
beefy, creamy, Italy

Rosette de Lyon 8.                             
cured pork salami,                              
Lyon, France
                                               
House Made Pâté de Campagne 9.                 
country style pâté                                           
from pork and veal lightly smoked,                            

Chicken Liver Mousse 8.                                
house made chicken liver,                                          
,cognac & cream

Bûcheron 8.
goat’s milk, soft,
of beef, Italy creamy, France
Cured Meats Cheeses

The cheese and meat board are my favorite.  I especially love the Chicken Liver Mousse, as it is flavored with six spice. It’s so rich and decadent that I wish I could buy it and bring it home with me every week.  It really is special and unique, creamy, buttery chicken liver flavored with clove, cinnamon and other spices.   I usually top it with the fig compote as it complements the sweetness in the mousse.  Rich loves the country style pate, and covers it in the homemade whole grain mustard.  The cheeses are all fresh, tangy and a great beginning to a wonderful Michelin star meal.
 

We both ordered the filet Mignon special for the day.

Roasted Creekstone Farms’ Filet Mignon
Yukon Gold Potato Purée, Red Pearl Onions,
Glazed Carrots, Sauce Périgourdine
& Shaved Périgord Black Winter Truffles
45.




The filet mignon was amazing and arrived medium rare.  The filet was covered in black truffles and cooked to perfection and the carrots were tender and juicy. The pearl onions were firm and so divine and added a great balance to the heavy truffles.   The Yukon mash was creamy and I could have consumed a gallon of it.  I will say that the filet was a tad hard to cut, and I thought since it’s a filet it should have been a tad softer but I am being critical.

Now, be careful when you order the small plate of meat and cheeses that you don’t over consume the bread.  Because when its 9PM and you haven’t had anything to eat all day you will fill up on the deliciously lightly toasted bread covered in cheese, meat, mustard, vinegar and not be able to finish your entire filet mignon as it happened to Rich.  I on the other hand was not about to leave anything, I cleaned my plate and could have licked the remains of truffle wine gravy of the plate, that’s how delicious it was. I was glad I ordered the second glass of wine which paired nicely with the richness of the steak. 

I had no room for dessert but couldn’t leave without having something.  I ordered the Panna Cotta as it is usually refreshing and light and so it was.  The Clementine sauce that encased the Panna Cotta was tart and a great palate cleanser after the rich filet mignon I had just consumed.  I couldn’t finish it but was glad I ordered it!

Buttermilk Vanilla Panna Cotta
Clementine
9.



Danny Brown’s is a great starter restaurant for anyone that wants to experience great quality and a Michelin star without the Manhattan ego.  Danny Browns is a laid back atmosphere with a modern yet antique flair.  You can feel the love in the room and in the food.

Happy New Year!

$209 for 2 people. 


No comments:

Post a Comment