Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Baker and Banker San Francisco, CA --Pacific Heights

www.bakerandbanker.com


1701 Octavia Street  San Francisco, CA 94109
(415) 351-2500
$$$

My favorite meal of the day is Brunch.  I have never met an egg I didn’t like.  I like them fried, scrambled poached, in an omelet, baked, sunny side up and upside down.  My only problem with brunch, what egg dish will I order?  I tend never to order anything sweet in the morning, partly because I will no doubt be hungry in an hour.  

We made a reservation far in advance for Baker and Banker.  Its image would be easily described as a modern restaurant with a mature sophistication.  There are no hipsters hanging out here, all patrons are professionals.   You can tell that the restaurant is definitely run by someone that was once a banker,  It’s a bit stiff to be honest, a bit unfriendly, and unapologetic.  The bakery which is attached to the restaurant is completely opposite.  It’s warm, friendly and welcoming and I was glad I made the stop as it swayed me to like this place a bit more.  

I ordered the eggs Benedict with kale, it had a hint of hot sauce (I did however want more hot sauces but I was afraid to ask).  It was yummy, and so was the passion fruit mimosa I ordered.  I especially loved the very last sip as it contained all the sweetness from the passion fruit.  I actually ordered a second mimosa just so I could have the last sip experience again.   

The food was great.  The atmosphere was stiff, I was afraid to smile at the waitress or even ask for hot sauce.  I also noticed how quite this place is, and everyone whispered as if they were in a library.  I’m a loud laughing type of person and I found myself retreating for the sake of not wanting to cause any attention.    
After brunch we ventured off next door to the Bakery to look at what was being offered that day.  I picked up a pecan sticky bun and I am GLAD I did.  I even got a smile from the guy behind the counter, the bakers even laughed!

No comments:

Post a Comment