Friday, January 4, 2013

Don's Bogam Korean BBQ---"Wait that's not seaweed!"



www.donsbogam.com
17 East 32nd Street New York, NY 10016
(212) 683-2200







 What will we have for lunch today I asked Denise?  
“I am up for, Mexican, Thai or something I never had before, like Korean!”   

Korean food is an acquired taste, its exotic for anyone that IS adventurous with foods.  I love Korean food, they always present you with a selection of traditional Korean side dishes and condiments and you usually have no idea what they are.  And so, the adventure began at Don’s Bogam BBQ restaurant.

We were seated in a booth where we sat almost in a hole, where your legs are in the floor. It sort of reminded me of a jacuzzi without the water.  I wouldn’t suggest going here if you are unable to bend your knees or have had a hip replacement.  

Once seated we were given a menu to which the most identifiable item was short ribs and bbq.  I usually order the Korean BBQ but decided I would go for a Galbi Bibimap; a clay pot filled with rice, noodles, carrots, mushrooms, miso broth, hot sauce, seaweed and short ribs and Denise ordered the EUI Special; thinly sliced beef with vegetables in broth with stew & rice.  

Within minutes we were presented with the traditional condiments and side dishes.  I sat there explaining what I thought each dish was.  This is Kimchee; a fermented Napa cabbage in a hot sauce, seaweed, fried fish cakes, this is coleslaw, and this is daikon radish in kimchee sauce, some were unrecognizable to me.  



Denise dove right in with no hesitation and said “this seaweed one is pretty good” and then I looked closely and realized,  I misquoted what it actually was!  She described it as salty,  but good and then I said, "Thank God you tried it before I realized what it was, because its fried baby fish, with the head and eyes attached".  I had more of a laugh then she did, but she appreciated her new experience.  



My Galbi Bibimap arrived and it was beautiful.  The vegetables were raw and fresh, I could hear them screaming pour the miso broth on us.  Suddenly the pot sizzled with excitement.  I dipped my short ribs in hot sauce (which wasn’t that hot) it added another dynamic to the dish.  I consumed the bowl to completion.  




Denise seemed to love everything she had too and was intrigued with how many varieties of tofu there are.  Her silken tofu was soft almost cheese like in a red broth.  



Last minute I ordered the serenity cold tea, in which I waiting quite a while for.  The tea had a subtle hint of lemongrass, peppermint and vanilla.  I only wished it was colder but they did press the tea leaves in front of me which added to the experience.  



It was 1:00 and we needed to get back to the office I looked up and realized that  Don’s Bogam BBQ restaurant was packed with a huge lunch crowd.  There are many Korean restaurants on 32nd street but this one is the one to go to.

Total Bill for 2 with tip: $40.00

1 comment:

  1. can t wait until your next adventure in good food
    keep up this blog, i look forward to every word

    ReplyDelete