Friday, January 4, 2013

Thanksgiving 2012-- Bouley--Tribeca NY




Bouley Restaurant
www.davidbouley.com
163 Duane Street  New York, NY 10013
(212) 964-2525
$$$$$








I wanted to have a wonderful Thanksgiving experience this year with the man that introduced me to restaurant food, my father.   After my parents’ divorce back in 1991 he would drive 75 minutes from Bridgewater, NJ to Queens, NY and we would spend every other Sunday exploring Manhattan.  We spent most of our days at art galleries, antique stores, auction houses, Sotheby’s and museums of all kinds. We would usually end our day together at a restaurant. 

Thanksgiving was my “fathers” holiday, Christmas belonged to my mom and so we gave up on our traditional home cooked meals and headed to Willow restaurant on Madison Ave for Thanksgiving. 

 Every year for many years we went to the same place until dad of course started dating and we went back to having family Thanksgivings at home.  Willow is no longer in existence and so I wanted to take my father someplace special this year we would go to Bouley in Tribeca. 

 I made a reservation a couple of months in advance on Open Table; Bouley would be offering a six course tasting menu.  Surely, Dad would appreciate having a dinner of a lifetime.  
 
Tribeca was very quiet on Thanksgiving, all the tourists ventured up to midtown for the parade and all the locals escaped the hustle and bustle. Once I entered Bouley I walked into a foyer area which contains shelves from floor to ceiling, covered with fresh apples.  I was suddenly engulfed with the fragrance of apples, it was AMAZING.  The fragrance caused me to smile at the notion of originailty. I entered another door which leads to the hostess station and in that moment, when I thought everyone escaped Tribeca, I suddenly realize that everyone in Tribeca was in this restaurant. 

A man came by with a push cart filled with freshly baked breads.  And told us a story about how David Bouley decided to start baking his own bread during the Atkins craze.  Seems Bouley likes to go against the grain (no pun intended). The Baker would pass our table every few minutes and my father would ask him to stop for another type of bread. My father looked intrigued and appreciative of the exchange. 

For the next two hours I would admire the beautiful, extra large murals on the walls, the large ceiling arches, and the accents of apple green through the restaurant. I felt cozy, at home and relaxed dining at Bouley.  I watched my father, smile with each bite, of each course, enjoying the Porcini Flan with Dungeness crab and black truffle dashi, the New Zealand venison, the butternut squash soup from David Bouley’s home garden, the organic Connecticut farm egg, the pineapple soufflé, the exotic sorbet and the French macaroons.  Oh, and the bottle of Pino Noir and the espresso with sambuvca and lemon peel. The service was impeccable and the ambiance and people watching was incredible.

Bouley is an experience that I will never forget.  A time where I got to spend my Thanksgiving meal with the two most important men in my life, my father and my partner. Isn’t that what life is about, creating memories which happen to be around food.




Total 3 people with wine and tip: $820.00



   

No comments:

Post a Comment