Monday, December 31, 2012

Sushi Raw--Lower Haight San Francisco

 
www.sushirawsf.com
682 Haight Street
San Francisco
(415) 863-6888
$
After a cold and adventurous day in San Francisco we needed to find a place to have dinner.  We were looking for something low key and in the Haight neighborhood.  My friend Wayne suggested sushi at his favorite local Japanese restaurant: Sushi Raw. 
 At first site this place is pretty generic a sushi bar in the front and dining tables in the back.  We were seated in the upper tier of the restaurant and were quickly asked if we wanted tea since it was so cold outside.  I was surprised with how good the tea was, it was exactly what I wanted and needed in that moment. Japanese POP music played in the background while I watched the hostess and waitress dance around a greet diners with happy face.
 I ordered the Tokyo Ahi Seared tuna with citrus sauce for an appetizer and the House Special Ramen Pork, bamboo shoot, mushroom, egg, and seaweed in a house special made pork broth for my main.  When the seared tuna arrived I wasn’t expecting it to be cut thick as I am use to it being thinly sliced.  I dug in and was delighted to find that the citrus sauce was A-MAZE-ZZZING! I wanted to pick the bowl up and drink the sauce, but decided against it since it wouldn’t look very classy. The tuna was fresh, cold and crisp, just the way I like it.
Now, my first thoughts on Ramen noodle soup brings me back to the freeze dried noodles and the flavor packet you add during the boiling water,  NOT this ramen soup.  The broth was silky smooth and hearty.  There were grated ginger and spicy pepper flakes that added a nice kick.  The best part was the added a surprise of a half of a hardboiled egg, but left me wishing that there was a whole egg or maybe even a dozen because that how good it was.  The pork was tender and flavorful; I enjoyed every slurp and ever inhale of every noodle.  I wish this place was closer to me, I’d go every week!
 
Total price for One Person: $19.00 with tip.
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment