Sunday, December 30, 2012

Abbots Celler--San Francisco

 

       
abbotscellar.com
You +1'd this publicly. Undo
742 Valencia Street San Francisco, CA 94110
(415) 626-8700
$$$
 
Abbots Celler is a grand restaurant from the food to the decor. It reminded much of a giant loft covered in wood planks.  Unlike most loft spaces the richness and warmth of the wood creates a homey, warm atmosphere. The open kitchen allows diners to view what is happening behind the scenes as you wait for your meal to arrive.  There are also small touches that leave you with a smile; the bathroom sink, much like a large basin is carved into the shape of a bottle.
 
Abbot’s Celler is known for their beer pairings.  I unfortunately am not a huge beer lover so opted for the Pino Grigo.  I will say the beer list is extensive, which you will find hidden in a drawer like area in your table, pages and pages of beer fill the menu from all regions.  Now back to the Pino Grigio… I wish I would have written the name of it down because it was the best I EVER had.  It had a hints of lemon and was sweet, crisp and refreshing that I ordered another during my dinner.  I also had a buzz going by the end of consumption.
 
For my appetizer my friend and I ordered the gnocchi dish which had the most delicious mushrooms.  The gnocchi were light pillows of potato covered in these robust tiny mushrooms. DE-VINE! We both slowly savored the taste.  Neither of us wanted it to end because that’s how light and delicious these gnocchi and mushrooms were.
 
My other friend ordered the bone marrow and said it was the best he ever had.  The presentation reminded me of a tiny Smurf village.   
 
For my main course I ordered the swordfish steak crispy potato, coriander toasted cauliflower, satsuma fennel butter.  It was beautiful and tasty.  It was slightly overcooked but good overall. The fennel butter added a slight sweetness which was unexpected and delicious. 
Now, I am a bit adventurous when it comes to food and I like to try new things, odd things.  When I saw that they had something that contained duck confit on their dessert menu, I was up for the challenge.  The duck pudding arrived and I was surprised with how LARGE it was.  It was dense and rich, but didn’t  really have a duck flavor.  It was tasty but not something I’d order again.
For the next few days I dreamt of delicious gnocchi with mushrooms.  I would go back to Abbots Celler just for those, and I may even order a double!
Final Bill with Tip: $256.34 for a party of 3 each having two alcoholic beverages, appetizers, main and two desserts.
 

 
 
 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment