Monday, December 31, 2012

Nopalito SF


Nopalito



306 Broderick Street San Francisco, CA 94117
415-437-0303
$

 

My one request while visiting San Francisco was to have a Torta.  We decided to go to a modern Mexican restaurant called Nopalito’s located in a strip mall on Broderick Street.  At first sight my initial thought was, how good could this really be in a strip mall?  Well, this place is packed with local hipsters engaging in loud chatter, surrounded by great weather and delicious foods. We waited 15 minutes for a seat to become available,  The locals know that this is the place to go for good, clean Mexican food. 

 Once seated, we were greeted with a bowl of spicy baked chickpeas that were crunchy and fiery.  After consuming a few of the chickpeas I was happy that my salted margarita arrived to quench my thirst and may I say it was STRONG!  It could have possibly been the strongest tequila I have ever consumed well worth the $9 price tag. 

I quickly ordered the Torta de Chilorio $9.00 a Sandwich of shredded pork in adobo, refried pinquito beans, jack cheese, onion and avocado on a housemade bun.  Once the waiter brought it to the table I was shocked with the size, I wasn’t expecting it to be quite so large, it also came with fresh thinly sliced potato chips which had been even cut on a mandolin.  The torta was comida delicioso.  The adobo was fragrant and salty, and I was thankful I had the margarita to wash it down with.  I didn’t think I was going to consume the potato chips but found myself digging in and picking up the fallen meat on my dish with chips.

 My friends ordered the Tamal de Amarillo con Calabaza 6.00 Corn masa, butternut squash, jalapeño, Oaxacan cheese, mole of dried chiles, tomatillos, peanuts, pumpkin seeds and spices and the Frijoles Puercos con Huevo 9.00 Stew of christmas lima beans, chorizo, bacon, egg ,queso fresco, cilantro and salsa escabeche de jalapeño.  Both said that each were amazing.
 

Nopalitos is the way to go for fresh modern Mexican cuisine.  Good luck getting in!
 
Total for one with tip: $25.00

 
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment